Re: RARA-AVIS: Scorsese's Cape Fear

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 16 Dec 2004

miker wrote (re Cape Fear)
> **************
> Overheated and overwrought? A claim that could easily
> be leveled at most of Shakespeare's works. Homer's
> Iliad, too, for that matter. I'm less than convinced
> that a style outside the narrow confines of
> contemporary realism constitutes a weakness. I
> thought the movie was absolutely spectacular, with a
> wild wrap that thankfully distanced itself from the
> bogus ending of the earlier movie and the
> unsatisfactory ending of the book. Great psychology
> and intricate moral questions. But more than
> anything, fun and frightening and entertaining.

A claim that could easily be leveled at "Scary Movie II." I bow to no one in my admiration of Scorsese, but his remake of "Cape Fear" was, unlike any Shakespeare I've seen, unbelievable IN ITS OWN TERMS, and was compromised by hamminess and ham-handedness. I grant that many, many people found it enjoyable, but I came as close as I have ever come to hating a Scorsese film. And that's a great gulf to envision leaping.

Jim Beaver

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM