RARA-AVIS: (no subject)

From: JimSallis@aol.com
Date: 09 Feb 2004

Dear Miker,

No, I've had no publisher suggest specific themes or directions -- those are not the sort of editors with whom I work. There is a strong pull among publishers for writers, especially in the mystery field, to write a series.

Most recently I read Don Harington's new novel, WITH, which is his third or fourth masterpiece, and Anthony Weller's THE SIEGE OF SALT COVE (both of these as ARC's, since they await publication), plus Robert A. Heinlein's previously unpublished 1939 novel FOR US, THE LIVING (this one for a column in F&SF) and a handful of books by Ken Bruen.

Influence is a tricky thing to assess, especially in one's own writing. I've certainly learned from Tom Disch, Jim Burke, Iain Sinclair, Jerome Charyn, W.S. Merwin, Robert Lowell, Walter Mosley and a host of others. Older influences include Blaise Cendrars and Boris Vian, Guillevic, Theodore Sturgeon, George R. Stewart, Alfred Bester, Edgar Pangborn, Chester Himes, Nathanael West, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Machado de Assis, Charles Baudelaire. This list could go on longer than either of us could stay awake.

Thank you for your interest in my work. I sincerely hope that you'll continue to enjoy it.

Jim