RARA-AVIS: Re: Jim Sallis' influences

From: tieresias@att.net
Date: 09 Feb 2004

Hi Jim, and welcome to the RARA AVIS list-

You wrote:

> Influence is a tricky thing to assess, especially in one's own writing.
> I've certainly learned from Tom Disch, Jim Burke, Iain Sinclair, Jerome
> Charyn, W.S. Merwin, Robert Lowell, Walter Mosley and a host of others.
> Older influences include Blaise Cendrars and Boris Vian, Guillevic,
> Theodore Sturgeon, George R. Stewart, Alfred Bester, Edgar Pangborn,
> Chester Himes, Nathanael West, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Machado de
> Assis, Charles Baudelaire. This list could go on longer than either of us
> could stay awake.

I followed a link from your website to your review of _The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas_ by Joaquim Maria Machado De Assis, and then went to Amazon.com and picked it up. I'm looking forward to reading it, based on your recommendation.

I'm sorry to say that I've never read anything of yours before. In light of that, I'd like to ask which volume out of your considerable canon of work you would suggest someone begin with? If this question has already been asked this month, sorry, I must have missed it.

All the Best-

Brian Thornton