Re: RARA-AVIS: Some questions for Mr. Sallis

From: Valerie E. Polichar ( valerie@ucsd.edu)
Date: 09 Feb 2004

Hi miker,

Jim will probably answer your questions himself, but you can find some of what you're interested in knowing on his web site:

> I'm always interested in what authors are reading, too. What are the
> last two or three books you've read? Was it your first exposure to any
> of the authors? What was your opinion of the books?

Jim reviews books for Fantasy and Science Fiction quarterly, and writes a column called "A Reading Life" for the Boston Globe monthly. Links to these (and the archived Boston Globe columns) are in the bottom left-hand corner of the home page (http://www.jamessallis.com).

> Are there any contemporary authors that have influenced your writing?
> Who are they? Any particular books of theirs? Are there any writers
> from pre-1920 who have influenced your work? Who are they?

There are many interviews with Jim on the "Interviews and Articles" page -- at http://www.grasslimb.com/sallis/intsarts.html -- where he speaks (among other things) about writers who have strongly influenced him, including Charles Himes, Boris Vian, and Blaise Cendrars.

I've found that reading authors that are pointed to in various references in Sallis' writing -- including and especially the three I listed above -- deepens my appreciation for his work. (Besides, they're good.)

Valerie