Re: RARA-AVIS: Top 10 Noir Films Based on BOOKS

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 22 Aug 2003

JT Lindroos wrote:
> Some wonderful films on a lot of lists, but instead of echoing what a lot
of
> people have said, I'd like to stress that IN A LONELY PLACE is a brilliant
> adaptation of the Dorothy Hughes book, and if I hadn't neglected it the
> first time around it would have been very high on the list.

************ I read Hughes's RIDE THE PINK HORSE a few months back and it was my first exposure to her and I thought it was great. Very dark. Very strong. The mood, but not her style, reminded me some of Faulkner's SANCTUARY. The volume with the PINK HORSE also has IN A LONELY PLACE, and I plan on reading that once I've made the tour through a few more authors new to me. I also picked up a paperback of THE SO-BLUE MARBLE, which I have heard is good.

The movie of RIDE THE PINK HORSE was a lot different than the book, but I still liked it. It changed Sailor from a noir guy to some kind of noble hero. The Mexican guy was great. And the young girl was excellent too. Check it out!

miker