Re: RARA-AVIS: Top 10 Noir Films Based on BOOKS

From: JT Lindroos ( juha@oivas.com)
Date: 22 Aug 2003

Some wonderful films on a lot of lists, but instead of echoing what a lot of people have said, I'd like to stress that IN A LONELY PLACE is a brilliant adaptation of the Dorothy Hughes book, and if I hadn't neglected it the first time around it would have been very high on the list. Anybody claiming interest in film noir should see it. I have the book but have not read it -- but I recall reading that there are some significant differences between the two.

After all these American classics, take a look at where the French New Wave and Italian neorealism took some of our favorite books: PIERROT LE FOU
(Lionel White/Godard), BAND OF OUTSIDERS (Delores Hitchens/Godard), SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER (David Goodis/Truffaut), OSSESSIONE (James M. Cain/Visconti). I don't remember if Chabrol based his films on novels, but a lot of those would apply too....

--Juha.

--
JT Lindroos
wit's end publishing