Re: RARA-AVIS: Keitel as Marlowe?

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 25 Jun 2003

There never will be a 'definitive" Marlowe, and that is his strength! He is now surely up there with Holmes (is Rathbone definitive? Is Jeremy Brett? IMHO Brett is the best) ..... The only definitive Marlowe would be Chandler himself
(and therein, I believe lies the power). Keitel I would not like - no dismissal of his very obvious acting talents - he's just not mine (and therefore my
'definitive' Marlowe). If I had to cast a current actor as Marlowe it would be, actually, sod it, I think William Hurt would make a decent stab at it....