Re: RARA-AVIS: Anyone here meeet John D. MacDonald

From: calvin branche ( cbranche@earthlink.net)
Date: 25 Jun 2003

I met him just once, very briefly, in a book- signing line at the 1983 Bouchercon; he was given the Grandmaster Award that year, and Stephen King flew in from Maine to introduce JDM. I taught two of his books to my high school jr. and sr. classes in Mystery Fiction. ( Deep Boue and Empty Copper)

Years later, as I read through some of the letters and other items in the Collection at the Univ. of Florida in Gainesville, I began to sense his need for privacy in order to work.

In 1990 I met his son, Maynard, at the 4th JDM Conference in Ft. Lauderdale. We happened to be sitting near each other and began to talk. We had a very personal conversation about JDM's last weeks before his death after heart surgery. Maynard served as his nurse, so to speak, after JDM became quite upset with the nurse who had been caring for him in the hospital. . Maynard and I email occasionally, mostly about copyright problems with the Estate and would-be JDM imitators. I think Maynard is very much like his father: private, but caring.