Re: RARA-AVIS: graphic novels

From: Etienne Borgers ( wbac1203@wanadoo.be)
Date: 11 Nov 2002

Miker, I'm not sure about the comics you refer to, involving terror and desperation. But, (naming them graphic novels or comic books it doesn't matter IMO)I advise you (if not yet done) to read SIN CITY, a modern series by Frank Miller. They are affordable and amongst the best graphic Noir I know. Some modern episodes of the Batman series (by Miller)are also worth a read.

Also, if you can still find English translations (?) of the Alack Sinner series- one of the best achievements for transposing HB/Noir to the comics format, do not hesitate. It's a series by Munoz (the artist) and Sampayo (the writer of the scripts), two creators originated from Argentina but living in Spain. They gained their reputation in Europe during the 70s and early 80s.

You could find a brief introduction to some comics belonging to the HB/Noir genre(classics and modern series), on my web site HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES. It's not exhaustive, far from it, but will give you some clues.

Comics is a domain we certainly cannot ignore when speaking of HB/Noir.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES (with a new chapter: Nippon Noir) http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384