Re: RARA-AVIS: Ed Lacy

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2002

Bill wrote

> It's hard to tell about Ed Lacy. He was one of those very
> uneven writers. He was also one of the first to use black
> protagonists in mystery fiction. Check out ROOM TO SWING,
> which won the "best novel" Edgar,

I really liked Room To Swing when I read it ten years or so back. So much so that when Maxim Jakubowski asked me to contribute as piece to a book called
(IIRC) 100 Great Detectives - and realising that all the obvous choices had already been taken - I ended up writing a piece on its protagonist, Toussaint Marcus Moore. Moment of Untruth, the sequel, isn't bad either. Nor is the cop novel Jim Doherty mentioned, Harlem Underground - something of a companion piece to John A. Williams' blakc panther novel, Sons of Darkness, Sons of Light.. I've also read at least one Lacy set amongst beatnik folk. Definitely a writer it would be good to know more about.

John