Re: RARA-AVIS: Movies Better Than Books

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 15 May 2002

At 01:31 PM 5/15/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Have to disagree with you there. Although I consider the movie L. A.
>Confidential an excellent adaptation of the book, IMO it doesn't compare to
>the original. I found the book more nuanced, richer in both character and
>detail and not at all prone to the wordy excesses found in some of Ellroy's
>later work. Yes, the book is stylistic, but it works, enhancing the overall
>effect instead of distracting from it.
>
>Brad, who has yet to read "My Dark Places".

Brad,

If you enjoy Elroy's work, you really owe it to yourself to check out "My Dark Places". It's briliiant. I have already listed my reservations regarding the book version of "LA Confidential", so I won't repeat them here, but those reservations go for other works, like "Brown's Requiem" and the one where Buzz Meeks gets killed at the beginning in the early 50s.

Brian