RARA-AVIS: Cinematic MIA

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 21 Sep 2001

Two other films, coincidentally both from 1972, that might be of particular interest to this group that have long been unavailable on DVD/video: THE HOT ROCK, starring Redford, George Segal and Paul Sands, based on Donald Westlake's Dortmunder novel, and especially HICKEY & BOGGS, a bleak, nasty noirish P.I. thing starring Bill Cosby and directed by and starring his I SPY pal, Robert Culp.

The former, a quite enjoyable piece of fluff, does at least occasionally pop up on TV, but it's been years since I've seen the latter. I wonder if it's because Cosby has such a sickly sweet, lovable-old-grump persona to protect now, or if everyone just plain forgot about the film. Too bad, because it's quite an interesting take on noir -- instead of dark, clammy claustrophobia, characters operate in dizzyingly bleak, sun-blinded wide open spaces. And the two loser P.I.s always seem to always arrive just a little too late to stop the ever-mounting carnage, sort of like Himes' Coffin and Gravedigger.

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com
Let's go to the movies! Plus new fiction from Hugh Lessig, John Alvar, O'Neil De Noux and Graham Powell. Plus web comics: Odd Jobs and The Damnation Gambit and soon, the return of Femme Noir. -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .