RARA-AVIS: RE: Ellroy

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2001

The posts about Ellroy's self-proclaimed genius and dismissal of Chandler seem to miss the point. He says these things to get people to talk about him. And guess what? To sell books in large quantities these days one has to do some sort of shuck and jive. James has few peers when it comes to self-promotion. But it would be a mistake to judge the product by the pitch. If, for example, he should become a contestant on Survivor Three, plugging his next novel shamelessly while fending off crocs and pythons (and I hope I'm not putting the idea in his head), it will not mean that the novel will be any less than brilliant.

Dick Lochte