RARA-AVIS: Re: The Big Blowdown

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 30 Jun 2000

Oh, good. Ned's back.

What a treat to read his hard-hitting, thoughtful critique of THE BIG BLOWDOWN. Such astuteness is, alas, so rare these days. He and Harriet Klausner are the true gods of crime fiction criticism.

In case you missed it, here it is again:

>Pelecanos's "The Big Blowdown" is a steaming pot of unreadable PW.
>One of the most agonizing books ever written, which is a feat, in
>and of itself, I suppose. Reading this book is like having your
>brain drawn out through your nose. Or having all your teeth pulled
>on the same day. Don't bother with it. It's on par with any of the
>dreadfully dull Lehanes.

I loved the way he didn't get bogged down in details, and instead went right for the jugular. And I especially enjoyed the glossary that Ned generously supplied for those of us unfamiliar with some of the latest literary terms.

>PW = Potty Water

Oh, and Happy Canada Day, Bill. Have a good one.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

New fiction from Anthony Neil Smith and Jochem Vandersteen, a Reader's Survey and Talkin' 'Bout Shaft. Can you dig it?