Re: RARA-AVIS: re: Pelecanos quote

From: Hugh Lessig ( hlessig@earthlink.net)
Date: 01 Jul 2000

> I reading GP nonstop these days, after discovering the Big Blowdown.

 And he "knows" D.C. places, and local culture references--especially
> the music. Even though I grew up in the burbs and get special lifts from his
> references, I think he builds the sense of "neighborhood" wonderfully--for
> anyone.

I'm still relatively new to HB and trying to learn more. Who else besides Pelecanos is known for having a strong regional flavor to their stories? I'm particularly interested in stories based in the here and now, not SF of the 30s and 40s or Ellroy's LA of the 50s. Nothing wrong with them, but I'd like to find the best HB writers who do the best job of identifying with a city or a part of the country ....

Hugh Lessig hardboiled newsmen live at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/8002/