Re: RARA-AVIS: Pete Hautman

a.n.smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 17:37:58 -0600

I've read all the Hautman books, and I'm a fan. Since I'm not a big Hiassen reader, whatever Pete's doing different has me hooked. But he still has room to grow, I agree. Ring Game was pretty silly. But the first 2 Crow books were nice, as Mark said. And my favorite, not mentioned, was The Mortal Nuts. His masterpiece so far. Dark, funny, good character depth. And I also like the way he has this world of recurring characters and can focus on different sections of this world each time out. When he gets away from Crow, he seems to write better stuff, like Nuts and Mrs. Million (which was the lottery one that got all the Hiassen comparisons).

Neil Smith