RARA-AVIS: Brief Plug for a Good Movie

Doug Bassett (dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 15:27:37 -0800 (PST)

Just saw "Who'll Stop the Rain" and I thought other people on the list might like it.

A very grim story of a drug deal that goes bad in Vietnam-era America, it's an excellent adaptation of one of my favorite books -- Robert Stone's Dog Soldiers. (Stone in fact worked on the screenplay). There's some moments of unexpected humor, some nice sleazy slices of America, some good action sequences and a suitably downbeat ending. Nick Nolte and Tuesday Weld are both excellent, but I thought Michael Moriarty (not a favorite actor of mine) shined in the role of the weasly, half-goofy husband.

Doesn't really fit the season, I know ....

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com