Re: RARA-AVIS: Pete Hautman

Mark Blumenthal (blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 18:24:37 -0600

Neil Smith feeels,

> When he gets away from Crow, he seems to write better stuff, like Nuts
and Mrs. Million (which
> was the lottery one that got all the Hiassen comparisons).

I think we touched on this earlier this week when we talked about series. I think Ring Game shows Hautman has written all he can about Crow, at least at this time. I haven't read Nuts and Mrs Millions yet so I can't say, but if it doesn't include Crow it shows he realizes this and will go in a different direction than Parker did. If he writes only individual novels he will lose lose the depth of great characters that permeate his works. Maybe like Lawrence Block or Donald Westlake he can produce many different series, each with their own appeal and assortment of different characters.

BTW, I know I'm not the only one who thought Hautman had echoes of Hiaasen before either lottery book came out. Mark