Re: RARA-AVIS: HB/noir carnival setting?

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:56:15 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Blumenthal wrote:

<<Richard Stark's(Westlake) __Slayground__. Parker takes shelter in an amusement park after an armored car robbery has gone very badly. . . . He returns to the park in a later book of the series.>>

Parker returns to the park in Butcher's Moon, the last of the original run of Parker books, 23 years before their recent revival.

Speaking of carnivals, Michael Chong brought up Gresham's Nightmare Alley in his original query. This was originally set to be the third in Art Spiegelman's Neon Lit series of graphic adaptations of noir novels, following Paul Auster's City of Glass and Barry Gifford's Perdito Durango. I have the first two. The third never came out. right? I didn't miss it, did I?

Finally, it's not exactly noir, but you can't have a discussion of carnivals without bringing up Todd Browning's movie Freaks. A truly creepy movie, banned in the USA for years, adapted into a graphic novel illustrated by Berni Wrightson and the inspiration of the Ramones' Gabba, Gabba Hey!

Mark