Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 21:04:27 -0500 (CDT) At 01:44 AM 8/4/98 GMT, Ned Fleming wrote:
>On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:02:08 +0000, Mario Taboada wrote:
>
>>pointed out (James Rogers?) he has more in common with the "magical
>>realists" (Rulfo, Garcia Marquez) and even with certain absurdists
>>(Queneau, Bioy Casares, Peter Handke) than with the hardboiled school of
>>action that is the nominal subject of this list.
>
>What is a "magical realist"? (Here's your chance to shine.) Is this
>important or can I forget it now? There's *nothing* realistic about
>Moseley. He's got his protagonist, the Hokester, out killing people in
>cold blood and being promoted to lieutenant because of it. He's got his
>average guys poisoning dogs with poison dollops of meat from hollow
>canes. He's got his bad guys as psychopaths with slick but unconvincing
>speeches. Where's the realism?
>
>Ned Fleming

I don't think that I was the one who came up with the
"magical realist" tag as applied to Willeford, although I kind of like the idea.
I always figured that the MR expression had something to do
with the translation of a metaphoric figure into a literal element of the
plot. In one of Marquez's books, the U.S. asserts jurisdiction over some
territorial waters, thus "taking" the sea. Of course, in the story they
literally take it so for the rest of the book the characters refer to "the
fickle sea". Similarly, Kafka's Gregor Samsa doesn't just feel like a roach,
he is a roach.
Don't know what this really has to do with Willeford, but I'd
like to see one of our listers make the connection. Naked lunch, anyone?

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net

#