RARA-AVIS: "The Long Goodbye" -- More heresy

From: Jack Bludis (buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2010

    Patrick King made many good points, but he hit on one of my problems with the novel when he said:

    >> I found Chandler's book thoroughly entertaining but no more logical than the way things happen in real life. <<

    Exactly, "no more logical than the way things happen in real life." Fiction is *supposed to be more logical than real life. (I also did not find my entertainment with either the book or the movie *thoroughly* entertaining.)

    I have to save that description for the first episode of the new "Sherlock." The second episode? Not as entertaining.

    I won't defend my position to the death. After all, it's not an opinion about politics, religion, the Yankees, or Notre Dame--although Notre Dame is getting much harder to defend.

    Opinion, always.

    Jack Bludis

    "Shadow of the Dahlia," a Shamus finalist novel at Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com New edition trade-paper, Kindle, and Nook