RARA-AVIS: David Corbett on "Noiriness"

From: Jack Bludis (buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2010

    David Corbett's comment on noir:

    http://www.mulhollandbooks.com/2010/10/28/insulting-your-intelligence-just-gimme-some-noiriness/

    The piece as fine a thumbnail of noir that I have ever seen.

    Particularly to the point was this part of one paragraph:

    "... a subgenre of tragedy, in which the error of judgment is the belief, often born of desperation, that a criminal act can redeem one’s pitiless luck."

    That is as precise a definition of noir as I have ever seen. It's not as short as "noir=screwed," but it is far more comprehensive.

    Jack Bludis

    "Shadow of the Dahlia," a Shamus finalist novel at Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com New edition trade-paper, Kindle, and Nook