Re: RARA-AVIS: Query for the Choir: Ed McBain, John D. MacDonald, Lawrence Block

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 12 May 2010

    Mark wrote:
    > That's quite a nice list of books, David. Might I suggest Angels by Denis Johnson? Or his > Jesus' Son (though it's not a crime novel)?
    > I'd also recommend one of Manhette's novels. Something by Reed Ferrel Coleman. And no > Chandler or Hammett? What's up with that?

    I loved David's list and was unnecessarily proud every time I came across another title on it that I could cross of as read.

    Then I sharpened my knives to nitpick over my favorites that haven't been included yet. Though it's not exactly one of my all time favorites, Lethem's "Motherless Brooklyn" seems like a natural for such a list.

    Mark, our tastes are usually pretty well aligned (Manchette! Coleman!), but when I finally tracked down a copy of Angels a few summers back I didn't have the reaction to it that I expected after hearing such high praise.

    Chris