RARA-AVIS: Re: Query for the Choir: Ed McBain, John D. MacDonald, Lawrence Bloc

From: David Corbett (davidcorbettauthor@gmail.com)
Date: 13 May 2010

    Mark Sullivan wrote:

    Might I suggest Angels by Denis Johnson? Or his Jesus' Son (though it's not a crime novel)? I'd also recommend one of Manchette's novels. Something by Reed Ferrell Coleman. And no Chandler or Hammett? What's up with that?

    These are great ideas. Angels was one of those books -- the others being Dog Soldiers, God's Pocket, The Long Goodbye and Double Indemnity -- that probably had more influence on me than any others. I like a lot of books, but these formed me as a writer.

    Which begs the question: Why no Chandler? Because I'm a bonehead. Jeez. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to the numbskull.

    And yes, I should pick up Reed and I too liked Manchette's Prone Gunman, which got some ink today.

    Thanks, big time.

    Oh, and btw: My girlfriend worships at the altar of Jesus' Son, so to speak.

    David Corbett www.davidcorbett.com