Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Used Books and ethics

From: John Williams (johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 06 May 2010

    Unfortunately the fact you have printed up x thousand copies of a book doesn't mean they will make it out into the bookshops. If a book doesn't sell then the majority of the print run will leave the warehouse only to be pulped. There are plenty of novels that sell 400 copies in the UK and have had 200 copies of an ARC printed. In that instance 33% of the extant copies would be ARCs. That said, in that instance, everyone concerned is screwed and the revenue or lack of it from the resale of ARCs is nether here nor there.

    Obviously used book stores are a joy. The Amazon Marketplace is perhaps rather less than a joy, speaking as a writer. As a reader though, it's always a temptation, and one I often succumb to.

    John on election day.

    hardcasecrime wrote:

    > I can't speak for any publisher but myself, but I can tell you that we
    > might print 100-200 ARCs of any given title and I don't think we've ever
    > printed fewer than 10,000-20,000 copies of the finished book. So for
    > us, at least, ARCs are never more than 1% of the print run.
    >
    > Of course, there are other publishers who only print 2,000 or 5,000
    > copies of a finished book...but even they are unlikely to print more
    > than 100-200 ARCs (if that many).
    >
    > So the only way you could possibly get up to 5% is if your ultimate
    > print run is really awful (and your publisher is nevertheless
    > mysteriously generous with ARC production).
    >
    > --Charles
    >
    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com
    > <mailto:rara-avis-l%40yahoogroups.com>, mhall@... wrote:
    > >
    > > > I haunt a lot of used bookstores -- well, perhaps not a *lot* since
    > there
    > > > fewer and fewer of these operations around -- but would agree the
    > ARCs
    > > > make
    > > > up a very insignificant amount...in my experience, in fact, much
    > less than
    > > > Dave's number... probably a fraction of a percent.
    > >
    > > From the used bookstores in my area they are usually to be found in
    > the
    > > TPB section. At times though, there can be a fair number in this size
    > > section.
    > >
    > > Best, MEH

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional