RARA-AVIS: Re: Used Books and ethics

From: hardcasecrime (editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 06 May 2010

    I can't speak for any publisher but myself, but I can tell you that we might print 100-200 ARCs of any given title and I don't think we've ever printed fewer than 10,000-20,000 copies of the finished book. So for us, at least, ARCs are never more than 1% of the print run.

    Of course, there are other publishers who only print 2,000 or 5,000 copies of a finished book...but even they are unlikely to print more than 100-200 ARCs (if that many).

    So the only way you could possibly get up to 5% is if your ultimate print run is really awful (and your publisher is nevertheless mysteriously generous with ARC production).

    --Charles

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, mhall@... wrote:

    > > I haunt a lot of used bookstores -- well, perhaps not a *lot* since
    there
    > > fewer and fewer of these operations around -- but would agree the
    ARCs