RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Nov 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "gsp.schoo@..." <gsp.schoo@...> wrote:

    <<ou don't feel a need to communicate? Then why have you responded to my points, or any others on RARA for that matter? If you don't communicate, then how DO you express yourself?>>

    By talking. What we're doing is talking. Communication is something else. Just like I'm a reader, not a consumer, and just like I eat a steak, not "food stuff". The difference is important to me. Communication is a very broad concept, and we need complex concepts in daily life like we need a hole in the head. If I say that you and I are communicating, I am being pompous, I am plugging both of us into a "channel", with a "code", and so on. But in reality, that is hot air: we are just talking.

    As to expressing, it is not the same as communicating. Language is used primarily to express, secondarily to "communicate". The amount of "information" to be communicated by a Faulkner story could be very minimal -- but the expression is not minimal, it's Faulkner talking.

    Best,

    mrt