Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 15 Nov 2009

    But T, why equate Kindle with digital technology? That a poodle is a dog, does not make every dog a poodle. Kindle is just one of many ways of outputting digital content. Others are POD books, other e-books and readers, audio and visual recordings distributed on disks, sticks and the internet. If, as you point out, the Kindle is not sufficiently enabling for readers and writers its success will be duly limited to those who figure they are better than others because they value the limitations.

    As for libraries, they ARE becoming digital resource centres where people can access digital content via their own devices or those they borrow from the library (as they borrowed printed books in the past.)

    And, not that it's terribly relevant, but to limit communication to the spoken word is, well, a failure to communicate. Music is communication, even without the lyrics. Mathematics is a language of communication. Pantomime is communication. Fashion is communication. Dogs sniff butt to communicate. For them the urine left at fire hydrants carries the neighbourhood news. The badly translated assembly instructions that come with IKEA furniture are communications. They communicate, eventually, how to put the damned stuff together so I can finally sit on it. Product packaging is covered in communications that express the manufacturers' desires that I buy their stuff. Advertising is communication. Graphic art is communication. You don't feel a need to communicate? Then why have you responded to my points, or any others on RARA for that matter? If you don't communicate, then how DO you express yourself?

    This e-mail is a communication. It is not necessarily noir. Kerry