Re: RARA-AVIS: Peter Rabe

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 04 Sep 2009

    Mario,

    Coincidentally I also just picked up The Spy Who Was Three Feet Tall, but it was Hard Case Crime's recent reprinting of Stop This Man! that got me back on Rabe like a bad habit. It's not great, but not a bad first book. About half way through it almost seems as if he's starting another novel--a story within a story. Now that I'm 3/4 of the way through, I'm wondering how he's going to tie it all together. But I am enjoying it.

    I realized that between HHC, Black Lizard and Stark House all of Rabe's first 10 novels have been reprinted and 15 of his first 19 novels, as well, so there are a lot of used copies of Rabe's books around. With that many books still around it's hard to call him semi- forgotten.

    Jeff