RARA-AVIS: Peter Rabe

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Sep 2009

    Inspird by rereading Donald Hamilton, I've been on a Gold Medal kick. The latest one I read is Peter Rabe's The Spy Who Was Three Feet Tall. This "spy" is a pygmy nicknamed "Baby". Very funny intrigue novel, frothy and light but extremely well written. Sometimes I am surprised at the care that Gold Medal writers put into their writing. In this case, the dialogue is very well tuned.

    I may have to go on a Rabe spree here! He wrote plenty, so no lack of material.

    This guy is another semiforgotten writer from that era. My understanding is that he was quite popular, not top seller but solid (meaning millions of people read him).

    Anyway, I recommend Rabe to those who don't yet know him. He is agile and intelligent, and he also has a fine sense of humor.

    mrt