RARA-AVIS: Re: Bloom and Shakespeare

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Mar 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Gonzalo Baeza" <gbaeza@...> wrote:

    > Speaking of which, I'm reading a history of Spain's crime fiction and,
    > just like you point out, their genre offerings in the first half of
    > the 20th century were heavily influenced by France and, to a lesser
    > extent, the British procedural. Fortunately, most of these is no
    > longer true. It seems Spanish crime fiction is going through a very
    > creative period with numerous new writers and titles. It'd be
    > interesting to see if any of them are eventually translated.

    This may have something to do with the growth of an "urban" culture and sensibility. Also, with the abandonment of certain harmful ideas about what good writing is. A classic problem in Spanish literature has been explaining too much (obvious in much Spanish cinema to this day), but I think younger generations are getting the hang of the concise story and of creating suspense. Unfortunately, Catalan writer Manual de Pedrolo, translator of hardboiled and noir writers in the fifties and the author of several great noirs and quite a few horrifying fantasies, has not had the influence he should have had in Spain and elsewhere. The fact that his language is not understood (or wanted) in the rest of Spain has a lot to do with it. What I see in younger authors is an eclecticism and an openness that did not exist before (Pedrolo and a few others excepted). We may see some real stars come out of this generation.

    Best,

    mrt