RARA-AVIS: Robert Finnegan

From: Richard Moore (moorich@aol.com)
Date: 31 Oct 2008

    According to Hubin's CRIME FICTION IV, Robert Finnegan was a pseudonym of Paul William Ryan (1906-1947). All three of his novels were published by Simon & Schuster and featured Dan Banion. The novels were THE BANDAGED NUDE (1946), THE LYING LADIES (1946) and MANY A MONSTER (1948). There were British editions of all with Boardman doing the first and the third novels and Bodley the second novel.

    I will see what else I can dig up but he sounds very interesting. I am fond of novels with journalists as detectives.

    Richard Moore

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence William Coates
    <coatesl@...> wrote:

    > This mention of reporters give me an opening to ask a question about
    an obscure book I read recently. "The Bandaged Nude," by Robert Finnegan. Published in 1946 as an Inner Sanctum Mystery by Simon & Schuster. The main character, Dan Banion, is a journalist in San Francisco just after the war. In one sense, it's not really noir, since it ends with a marriage, and you can't get more redemptive than that. But some of the early chapters really have a sense of the postwar darkness, returned vets wearing the ruptured duck and not being able to make sense of the world anymore, character quoting poetry about the inhumanity of God.

    > Online, I found that Finnegan wrote a couple of other books. But my
    copy of "The Bandaged Nude" gives his dates as 1906 - 1947, which means he died very soon after publishing this. Does anyone know anything about him?

    Behalf Of DJ-Anonyme@... [DJ-Anonyme@...]