Re: RARA-AVIS: The Detective Book Club

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 22 Oct 2008

    The Reader's Digest analogy is not valid in that they are not abridged. It's a good way to get copies of hard to find books such as Goodis' Of Missing Persons and the Lionel White you mention.

    Jeff

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Stickney" <stickney_jj@yahoo.com> To: <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:55 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: The Detective Book Club

    Recently I've stumbled across a 1950-1960 hardbound book series from the The Detective Book Club - each volume contains three novels - one volume included a novel by Lionel White (Invitation to Violence), Alan Amos (Fatal Harvest) and Doris Siegel (How Still My Love). The series seems somewhat akin to a reader's digest version of bestselling novels. Can anyone tell me something about this series? Are the novels abridged versions of the published novels?