Re: RARA-AVIS: The Detective Book Club

From: John Stickney (stickney_jj@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Oct 2008

    That's the one, thank you!

    John

    --- On Wed, 10/22/08, jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> wrote: From: jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: The Detective Book Club To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 9:22 AM

                --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, John Stickney <stickney_jj@ ...> wrote:

    > Recently I've stumbled across a 1950-1960 hardbound book series

    from the The Detective Book Club - each volume contains three novels

    - one volume included a novel by Lionel White (Invitation to

    Violence), Alan Amos (Fatal Harvest) and Doris Siegel (How Still My

    Love). The series seems somewhat akin to a reader's digest version of

    bestselling novels. Can anyone tell me something about this series?

    Are the novels abridged versions of the published novels?

    I assume you're talking about a series of "triples" with very basic,

    cardboardy, often greenish covers. The novels are not abridged, at

    last the ones I have read. Over the years I have amassed many of these

    from yard sales, estate sales and such. They are a good way to find

    reading copies of long out of print material, such as the Lionel White

    you mention. The series lasted at least into the seventies, if I

    recall correctly. One of the worst novels I have ever read, penned by

    Frank Gruber, came in one of these triples. It was about the red scare.

    Best,

    mrt