RARA-AVIS: Re: Pelecanos - My Five Most Important Crime Novels

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 04 Oct 2008

    Hard to take any list without Maltese Falcon leading it too seriously.

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Michael S. Chong"
    <menglish47@...> wrote:

    > From Newsweek dated Sep 29, 2008
    > http://www.newsweek.com/id/160097
    >
    > My Five Most Important Crime Novels
    >

    > 1.
    > "
    > The Long Goodbye
    > " by Raymond Chandler. A melancholic ode to loss and the
    passage of time.

    > 2.
    > "
    > The Burglar
    > " by David Goodis. Hypnotic prose and a shocking ending.
    Call it pulp if you have the need to. It's disturbing art.

    > 3.
    > "The Last Good Kiss" by James Crumley. The post-Vietnam
    stunner that reinvigorated the genre and jacked up a generation of future crime novelists.

    > 4. "Swag" by Elmore Leonard. Down-and-dirty, this one
    smokes front to back, and the voice is one of a kind.

    > 5. "Clockers" by Richard Price. My generation's "Grapes
    of Wrath."

    > A CLASSIC YOU'VE REVISITED WITH DISAPPOINTMENT: "The
    Godfather" by Mario Puzo. Except for the page that features Sonny and the bridesmaid. That page never disappoints.

    > A BOOK YOU HOPE PARENTS READ TO THEIR KIDS: "True Grit" by
    Charles Portis. A great adult novel with a strong, teenage female protagonist.
    > ***Interesting choices...  I'm surprised Pelecanos did not include
    Newton Thornburg's "Cutter and Bone" for which he wrote an introduction for a reissue.