Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Pelecanos - My Five Most Important Crime Novels

From: Stewart Wilson (stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 05 Oct 2008

    On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:59 AM, davezeltserman <davezelt@rcn.com> wrote:
    > Hard to take any list without Maltese Falcon leading it too seriously.

    I don't agree. Sure, if it was about absolutes, MALTESE FALCON should have ranked, but I think Pelecanos was putting the emphasis on the
    "My" in "My Five Most Important Crime Novels", and frankly there is nothing MALTESE FALCON-esque about Pelecanos' novels. We all know what the five best crime novels are (!), and it just wouldn't be that interesting if everyone asked simply itemized the list. Pelecanos was putting up a list of five great novels that influenced him. Of the titles on the list, I think the Price one is of special interest because Pelecanos worked with Price on THE WIRE. Though I have only read a couple of Price books (as opposed to all of Pelecanos), I believe that Price has been a huge influence on Pelecanos, and the fifth entry in the list is an honest appreciation of a truly great and under-appreciated writer.

    --Stewart