RE: RARA-AVIS: Steve Fisher - No House Limit

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2008

    > Behalf Of Randy Krbechek

    > I just finished one of the new Hard Case titles, "No House Limit" by
    > Steve Fisher (1958). . . Just a good, fast-paced story, with lots of
    gambling
    > details and lore mixed in.

    Too much detail in my opinion...I felt it really bogged the story down and detracted from strong characterizations. I didn't care for NO HOUSE LIMIT. I've read a couple other Steve Fisher books, and found both more compelling than this novel.

    My luck with HCC has been hit-and-miss lately...I picked up ZERO COOL, BABY MOLL and NO HOUSE LIMIT, and read them one right after another. The only one I truly cared for was Lange's ZERO COOL, but even that one was problematic in spots. NO HOUSE LIMIT I mention above, and Farris' BABY MOLL was both predictable and, frankly, dull.

    I don't find these books to be representative of HCC, though -- more the exception(s) than the rule. They can't all be winners.

    Ron C.