Re: RARA-AVIS: Hal Ellson...

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2008

    > I've not read the old Juvenile Delinquent stuff before, but have always
    > seen
    > Ellison (among others) plastered all over the pbo mail-order catalogues
    > and
    > whatnot, so figured it was time to give JD a try. Since Ellson is
    > generally
    > regarded as the Father of this sub-genre, this would seem like a good
    > place
    > to start.

    I've read Tom Boy and rather liked it. Reminded me a bit of The Amboy Dukes. Actually it's Irving Shulman who's generally considered to be the father of JD lit. Amboy Dukes, published in 1947 sold over 2 million copies. But Ellson is regarded as "one of it's most adept practioners" (I'm quoting Teenage Confidential, an excellent history of Juvenile Deliquency), having published over a dozen JD titles.

    Jeff