RARA-AVIS: Re: About that noir/ not noir script

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Lochte" <dlochte@...> wrote:

    > Prompted by all the hype in the world out there and in the confines
    of our
    > noir-loving group, I went to see The Dark Knight. Quite a spectacle.
    > Beautifully directed and photographed. But that script! Considering the
    > overall purpose of this list, I'd assume that when it comes to
    movies or TV
    > or comic books or whatever, our main interest would be in the writing or
    > storytelling. But in the lengthy discussion of whether the film was
    or was
    > not noir, I don't recall anybody saying anything about the overheated,
    > underdeveloped, sometimes incomprehensible, repetitive and, worst of
    all,
    > preachy script. How many times and in how many ways do we have to
    hear all
    > that guff about Batman's negative effect on Gotham? We see it in the
    opening
    > sequence, with the Batman wannabes getting in the way of the Scarecrow's
    > arrest. Point made. Then we hear newscasters and the Joker and just
    about
    > everybody chiming in on the plusses and minuses of having the Dark
    Knight on
    > call.

    Could the reason be that the public is trained by the "news" and what passes for "analysis"? I think being exposed to constant bullshit has to have an effect on people. I wonder what the market studies for this movie have mandated: I suspect (with no basis) that it is aimed at teenagers. If the script is going to be bad, I prefer it to be REALLY bad, as in the wonderful "Earth Girls Are Easy". Those were the golden days of bad...

    Best,

    mrt