RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos: The Turnaround

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 27 Jul 2008

    I recently finished and thoroughly enjoyed The Turnaround, the latest from George Pelecanos. It's the perfect followup to The Night Gardener and I would not hesitate to recommend either to a first-time Pelecanos reader wanting to give him a try.

    The recent discussion of Leonard reminds of the debt that Pelecanos owes to Leonard's Detroit novels, which really shown through in King Suckerman. The books have gotten deeper since Suckerman, but the basic stye has remained the same.

    My only (minor and trivial) quibble is that I have never heard anyone refer to upper NW as
    "The Heights," but that's a compliment in and of itself, as Pelecanos is one of the few authors where a small and unimportant thing like that stands out.

    Chris