RARA-AVIS: Re: Bullfighting; was Super Heroes, Comics, and Noir

From: Karin Montin (kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 25 Jul 2008

    After two weeks of nonstop, very loud cicadas in the south of France, I was looking forward to some good traffic noise in Paris. And I got it.

    While in the south, I was lucky enough to see a variety of bullfighting called bull racing (la course camarguaise), which does not involve killing the bull or even spiking it to get it mad.

    It's an extremely popular spectator sport in the Camargue. Every town seemed to have an arena. The one in Arles, where I was, dates from Roman times. A half-dozen bull runners, athletic young men dressed in white, compete to snatch a rosette from between the the bull's horns. They have to run really fast to get away and jump out of the arena, over the fence and across the corridor separating the bull ring from the stands. Not being a bullfight fan, I didn't realize that the bull regularly jumps over the fence, too, or crashes through it. It's all very exciting for a short time. Then you start to wonder about the poor bull.

    Many bulls become famous. According to Wikipedia, some even get lucrative product endorsement contracts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfight

    On-topicity: All the Camargue bulls are "noir."