Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Bullfighting; was Super Heroes, Comics, and Noir

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 25 Jul 2008

    ....since you mention the ³course camarguaise¹,. I should absolutely mention the ³course landaise² which is done in the Landes, Gers region of southwestern france (which is exactly where I¹m from) for centuries...The
    ³course landaise² is done with springy fast young cows with corks on their horns (meaning they are not there to gore anybody). The Œécarteurs¹
    (dodgers) are all in white and the cow is called at one end of the bull ring...the écarteur comes in the middle and calls the cow who is at the side and then lunges towards the Œécarteur¹ who avoids the charging cow with a swing of the hips...almost rugby style. The whole scene is run just like a bullfight with cuadrillas and prizes and all...there is no blood, no killing
    (I say that to appease ­ for 1/2 second - the fears of the politically correct set among us fans of criminality, noir, mayhem and general bad stuff) and those cows I refer to are very light, fast and nervous cows and especially bred for this in specialized Œganaderias¹...This is what Wicky says at the start of their article
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_Landaise) : ³Although young cows are used instead of bulls the course Landaise is in Gascony a major spectator sport which can in a way be compared with the steer-wrestling ¹¹games¹¹ in American rodeos or the Basque tradition of running in front of bulls that have been let loose in the streets (Bayonne in southern France or in Pamplona in nothern Spain).It is a traditional game of ¹¹bull¹¹ leaping with wild young cows. In France mainly seen in the departments Gers and Landes and also a little in the Gironde, it is an animal friendly game that has nothing to do with the traditional bullfighting. One needs courage, strength and agility to participate in this dangerous sport. The men most often have a few bruises to nurse, while the cows return without any harm to their luxurious grasslands². All of us kids waited all year for the local feria so we could spend even two minutes ten feet from the cow with our espadrilled feet in smelly sawdust and our legs shivering...pure heaven when you¹re 15...and try to cath the rosette which is also one of the events on those afternoons...

    Yes bulls become famous: Islero, the name of bull who killed Manolete in Linares in 47, is known in the Œlatin¹ world especially....

    Montois

    After two weeks of nonstop, very loud cicadas in the south of France, I was looking forward to some good traffic noise in Paris. And I got it.