Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

From: ssshapir (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jul 2008

    I've recommended it before on a similar thread but I don't mind doing it again -- George Axelrod's Blackmailer published by Hard Case is a fantastic Hollywood noir set in the 50's with characters that remind you of Monroe, Hemingway and Capote. It's a poisoned love letter to Hollywood. Axelrod wrote the screenplay for the Manchurian Candidate, incidentally.

    Also recently read 'Shooting Star' by Robert Bloch. Counts as Hollywood noir but is pretty blah. Still there is enough of Bloch's humour to please his fans.