Re: Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 09 Jul 2008

    not sure if it's dark enough to qualify as noir, but John O'Hara's HOPE OF HEAVEN is a beautiful and tragic story set in the Golden Age

    Evelyn Waugh's THE LOVED ONE probably fits the bill

    IN A LONELY PLACE by Dorothy Hughes

    Chandler's THE LITTLE SISTER

    F. Scott Fitzgerald's PAT HOBBY STORIES capture the moral compromise

    Ellroy's L.A. CONFIDENTIAL has as its central villain a character based on Walt Disney. no shock that this entire storyline never made it into the movie version

    and now that I've managed to transition into movies, as I often do... SUNSET BOULEVARD is the first and last word in Hollywood noir

    John Lau

    ************** Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!