RE: Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

From: Anders Engwall (anders.engwall@comhem.se)
Date: 10 Jul 2008

    Axelrod seems to have been quite a character. Apart from writing BLACKMAILER and scripting THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, he also scripted BUS STOP (discussed here recently) and BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS (not discussed here, ever), as well as satirical oddities such as RALLY 'ROUND THE FLAG BOYS! and WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? He also wrote and directed LORD LOVE A DUCK and THE SECRET LIFE OF AN AMERICAN WIFE, which I have not seen but which seem interesting from what I can gather from IMDb.

    Anders

    From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto:rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ssshapir Sent: den 10 juli 2008 11:16 To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

    I've recommended it before on a similar thread but I don't mind doing it again -- George Axelrod's Blackmailer published by Hard Case is a fantastic Hollywood noir set in the 50's with characters that remind you of Monroe, Hemingway and Capote. It's a poisoned love letter to Hollywood. Axelrod wrote the screenplay for the Manchurian Candidate, incidentally.