RARA-AVIS: Giallo

From: ssshapir ( ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 May 2008

Although this is not strictly a hardboiled question, I'm hoping that some rara avian out there with an encyclopedic knowledge of crime fiction might be able to help me. I'm a big fan of giallo movies-the Mario Bava and early Lucio Fulci ones in particular-and I've been wondering for a long time now if there is any literary equivalent to these films. Anyone familiar with this film genre will know what I'm looking for-outlandish plots, brutal set pieces and twisted psyches.

And as an aside let me recommend Fernando Di Leo's `Milano Calibro 9'. A superb, genuinely hardboiled noir flick that should not be missed.

Sean Shapiro