Re: RARA-AVIS: James Lee Burke on Hemingway

From: Jimmy Slattery ( jimmyslattery@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 May 2008

I don't remember every seeing that in any of the books, and I've read them all. I would think it would have stuck with me, much like Vidal's quote "All the ills of the world could be cured if people would simply do as I advise." It's the sort of quote I'd be likely to remember.

John Armstrong

----- Original Message ---- From: Jeff Vorzimmer < jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com> To: RARA-AVIS < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:45:20 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: James Lee Burke on Hemingway

In every Dave Robicheaux novel by James Lee Burke he always mentions or alludes to a quote by Hemingway, supposedly from Death in the Afternoon, to the effect that "All the world's ills could be corrected by a three-day open season on people," but I don't ever remember reading that and I haven't been able to find it anywhere in that book. Is it really in there somewhere? Anybody?

Jeff