RE : Re: RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Phantom Lady / Bride [was: Woolrich recommendations? ]

From: blumenidiot ( blumenidiot@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Fabienne soldini <fabsoldini@...> wrote:

I've seen Kansas City Confidential most often cited as the inspiration for 'Dogs'. It does have the basic plot idea though Tarentino draws from a lot of sources and elaborates the idea more. Yes, you're right. I've made a confusion between Johnny To and Ringo Lam. And, youu're also right "Reservoir dogs" is not strictly a remake of "City on fire" but it inspired a lot Tarantino,who told he loves that movie and makes it known in Occident and who loves Asian movies (look "Kill Bill") in general.
> "Sonatine" is also a very good noir movie. Kitano treats about
sport in his movies : surfing in "a sceane at the sea" (international title) and boxe with "Kids return" (international title). The boths are very beautiful. "Kid returns" is a noir movie, not "a sceane at the sea".
> Best
>
> Fabienne
>
> DJ-Anonyme@... a 飲it :
> Fabienne wrote:
>
> ""Reservoir dogs" by Tarantino, movie and filmaker i like very
much, is
> an adaptation ok a movie by Johnny To, for instance."
>
> Although not strictly a remake (draws from other movies, too,
including
> Killing and Le Doulous, for example), I think you mean RD is a
remake of
> City on Fire, by Ringo Lam. Most of To's work is postRD.
>
> And I strongly second your recommendation of Takeshi Kitano,
Sonatine