RARA-AVIS: Hard Case Crime (was Short and Cheap)

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 14 Oct 2007

Up here in western Canada, I had to ask our local independent mystery store to bring a couple of the early Hard Case Crime books. At the time they didn't know about them. Then they brought in a few, which didn't sell that well so they stopped getting them. They didn't even stock the Stephen King. At the same time, McNally Robinson, Canada's most successful independent that now even has a store in New York City, devotes a well-marked shelf to Hard Case and brings in every new title. Down the mall from McNally's flagship store, Zellers, a discount department store, often has older Hard Case books marked down to $4.99. I haven't seen any copies in our Walmarts. I also think that people who purchase Hard Case books likely are keeping them because I've only spotted a couple of copies in local thrift stores and none at our major hospital book sales. I know I'm keeping mine.

Kent Morgan