Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Spade falling in love

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Oct 2007

Well, in fact, as opposed to fiction, most women who wind up in these situations are abuse victims. Crime is a learned behavior. Look at the background of Aileen Wuornos, who with the exception of her self image, very much resembles Brigid O'Shaunassy, and you see how a person like that becomes who they are. Statisticly, most women who commit murder, any sort of murder, are victims of child abuse. It does not follow that all victims of child abuse are criminals. But if you wanted to create a criminal, abusing that individual as a child would be an initiating first step. Check the books of John Douglas, Robert Ressler, or Robert Kepple to verify what I'm saying. If one wanted to write a comprehensive novel about a female criminal, they'd at least allude to her formative experiences. Neither Doyle or Hammett had this in mind, but it's fair to speculate that these women were abuse victims before it came into their heads that other people's lives and property don't really matter in the large scheme of things.

Patrick King